Wednesday, August 10, 2011

What I'm Reading Today

It's been a quiet week around here with my son off visiting the grandparents.  I admittedly haven't been cooking much but did have a fantastic meal at Pizzeria Delfina on California Street last night.  Everything was stellar, as usual, but I particularly loved the Eggplant & Ricotta Crostino-a large slice of grilled bread, incredibly creamy ricotta, and perfectly grilled slices of eggplant.  It was divine (and definitely seasonal, so get it while you can), and especially tasty with my glass of Grangnano Frizzante.


It was that eggplant dish that attracted me to this Eggplant Parmesan Deconstructed recipe in today's NY Times.  Melissa Clark tops fried eggplant rounds with ricotta, a quick homemade tomato sauce, basil, and crispy panko breadcrumbs. I think you could grill the eggplant too, what ever works for you.  Either way I'm pretty sure I could eat this by the platter-full and it's a heck of a lot easier than the old school version.


When you get that grill fired up for your eggplant, keep it on for these Grilled Banana Splits from the Chicago Tribune.  I'll always remember grilling bananas when we camped as kids (in the skin, stuffed with chocolate chips, wrapped in foil-yum!).  The caramelized exterior and creamy inside transform a banana into a super luxurious addition to any ice cream sundae. 


Gazpacho is one of the best ways to use the abundance of tomatoes you pick up at the farmers' market.  It's all about the tomatoes, and with all this heat you should be finding many summer varieties popping up in your town.  Don't sacrifice and buy hot house or imported tomatoes...all you'll get is a big bowl of "why bother", trust me.  This Gazpacho, from Urthh cafe in LA via the LA Times, could not be easier and the soup will keep 5-6 days in your fridge so keep a big batch on hand.  A perfect lunch or summer side dish, make Gazpacho while you can.

Happy Reading and Happy Cooking!

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails