Wednesday, May 25, 2011

What I'm Reading Today

I might be the only person on the planet who isn't watching Oprah's last hurrah but, rest assured I am paying attention to what's happening in food.

Swiss Chard is my go-to vegetable at home.  Around here it means caramelizing an onion with a handful of minced chard stems, adding torn chard leaves to the pan, and quickly sauteing with some salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar.  So good and we never have enough.  In today's Los Angeles Times there is a recipe for Swiss Chard with Golden Raisins and Bread Crumbs, a southern Italian take on our local, seasonal produce.  If you haven't cooked chard, this is a perfect way to try it.  It's in the market now-give this one a shot.


Since we're talking good and good for you, I couldn't pass on this Quinoa and Beet Pilaf from the NY Times.  I've waxed poetic about the amazing health properties of quinoa many times (most importantly-it's a complete protein and the only other food that can say that is an egg).  I am also a big fan of roasted beets.  When I make then I do a big batch so I can have them in the fridge all week-perfect for last minute salads.  This combination, cooked into a bright, vibrant pilaf, is pretty lovely, don't you think?  It uses the beet and beet greens, so be sure to buy them fresh so the greens are still attached.  I love the addition of caraway seed and crumbled goat cheese-gorgeous flavors to throw into the mix.


If you don't already follow Heidi Swanson's gorgeous blog, 101 Cookbooks, go bookmark it now.  Her inspiring writing and stunning photos will have you eating healthy without even realizing it.  She's just released her second book, "Super Natural Every Day", and the SF Chronicle loved it in their review on Sunday.  If you don't have your hands on this hot new title yet, check out the article for Heidi's recipe for Orzo Salad.  This is not your mom's pasta salad-we're talking creme fraiche, broccoli, whole wheat orzo, and even some avocado.  You can trust Heidi's recipes to work and taste great.  I'm a big fan...can you tell?

Happy Reading and Happy Cooking.


1 comment:

Deana said...

Jod, of all the recipes you listed today, the one I am most excited to try is your simple chard recipe! Yum! I just got beets in my CSA box, so maybe the beet quinoa dish too...and you turned me on to Heidi, I have her new cookbook but have yet to try a recipe. But still your chard recipe is next on my list to try! Thanks for sharing it! See you in a couple of weeks at your cooking class!

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails