Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What I'm Reading Today

It's back to school and "normal" life as I know it.  Summer was amazing but it's funny how a parent begins to crave that routine of the school year.  Give me a few weeks...I'm sure I'll be missing those lazy days in no time.


It's warm and sunny in SF but, as we locals know, that doesn't last long.  The next time the fog rolls in I'm making this ragu.  To me "ragu" implies meat that's been cooked slow and low, coaxing out its incredible flavor and creating the melt-in-my-mouth texture I adore.  It's braising at its best and the Italians do it right.  In today's LA Times there is a recipe for Lamb Ragu from Orange County's Pizzeria Ortica.  Slow cooked lamb shanks with red wine and a hint of both cinnamon and juniper...if that doesn't taste like fall I don't know what does.  

 

Romesco sauce is one of my favorite condiments.  The Spanish sauce is thick and rich, made from a combination of roasted peppers, tomatoes, almonds, and bread.  It's got a bit of a kick but I wouldn't call it spicy.  It's packed with flavor and perfect with the smokiness of anything off the grill.  In today's NY Times Martha Rose Shulman writes about an annual ritual in Catalonia, Spain called calçotada.  Fresh spring onions are grilled, wrapped in newspapers to steam, and served in huge piles on tables with tons of romesco for dipping.  She brings the dish state-side for her Grilled Leeks with Romesco, steamed first then grilled for the smoke.  Try to find small leeks for this recipe-they are tender throughout so you'll have a lot more to eat.   And save any leftover Romesco...you'll find plenty of places to use it.



Happy Reading & Happy Cooking!


No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails