Monday, January 11, 2010

Homemade Granola


On my quest to eat well and spend less, I've been making mounds of homemade granola.  I use an old Bon Appetit recipe I've had for years, with a few of my own modifications.  I'm still playing with it, trying different fruits and flavorings.  Stay tuned for my cocao nib version!

Homemade Granola
4 cups oats (I use oats from Bob's Red Mill)-be sure to avoid the quick cooking variety
1 cup toasted nuts (I like slivered almonds, coarsely chopped pecans, or skinned hazelnuts)
3/4 cup dried fruit, in bite sized pieces (I've been using cranberries but also love cherries and apricots-be sure to use unsulfured apricots-the bright orange ones are too soft and will burn in the oven)
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
pinch of kosher salt
pinch of ground cinnamon
1/3 cup neutral flavored oil (canola, safflower, vegetable, grapeseed, etc.)
1/4 cup good honey
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and lightly oil a baking sheet.

In a large bowl, toss together the oats, nuts, fruit, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon, being sure to break up any chunks of brown sugar.  In a small saucepan, combine the oil, honey, and sugar.  Heat the mixture over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.  Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the vanilla, and pour it over the oat mixture.  Toss the mixture until all the dry ingredients are coated with the honey mixture. 

Spread the mixture out on the prepared baking sheet.  It will look like this:

Bake the granola until very golden and fragrant, 30-40 minutes, stirring it well every 10 minutes or so.  When it is done, it will look like this:



(notice the change in color?)

Transfer the baking sheet to a rack and cool the granola completely.  When cool, store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.  I store mine in glass or tin, as opposed to plastic, as I think it keeps it a lot more crisp.

The granola is great with milk and fresh fruit, served straight up as a snack, or sprinkled over yogurt with berries for a parfait.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Amelia PS said...

genial: to add cocoa nibs!!!
I have always had a problems with home-made granola. After a while, not a long time, it goes stale. Also, It's hard to cook it perfectly. Any tips?

All About Food said...

Just when I thought I had finally perfected my granola recipe, I find your delicious sounding granola. Dark brown sugar must add wonderful flavor. And cocoa nibs? I have some in my pantry, but never thought to add them to granola. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

JILL said...

Yum! Store bought granola step aside. Great recipe...cost effective, delicious and simple. I added ground flax to mine and used part honey, part light agave nectar.

Michele said...

Was never a fan of granola but man is this recipe awesome! I added heart of hemp to it to give it a lil proteinvand it tasted just like walnuts.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails