Wednesday, September 30, 2009

What I'm Reading Today

How does Wednesday come around so quickly again? Here we are, and here's what I'm reading.

Last Father's Day my son and I bought my husband all the Kitchen Aid attachments for making homemade sausage. We'd tried them out before and seeing my husband with links and links of homemade Italian sausage was the best-he was a pro, and the sausage was amazing. Figured we should have all the gear on hand to make it again. After all, when you make your own sausage you know exactly what goes in it-a huge bonus. In today's LA Times they make the "Case for Homemade Sausage", not that I need to be convinced. From Chicken Apple to Spicy Merguez, and even a Bratwurst, the recipes look delicious. Great part is, if you have your butcher grind the meat for you, you can skip the casings, make sausage patties, and avoid all that gear. That said, I can promise you it won't be nearly as much fun!

Melissa Clark of the NY Times just writes a damn good recipe. This is a woman I'd like to have a meal with-I love everything she writes about. Today it's a Fig Tart with Caramelized Onions and Stilton-what's not to love about that? She makes her with prepared puff pastry and my hint there is to seek out one made with all butter. The common supermarket brands use vegetable shortening instead of butter, no where near the true flavor the dough should have. I also LOVE Nick Malgieri's recipe for Quick Puff Pastry. Tastes rich and flaky like the laborious stuff and you can make it in a lot less time.

The Washington Post aims to get you out of your lunch-packing rut, and they do a great job. You'll love the flow-chart like graphics that help you mix and match all the right stuff.

I love Bolognese-thick, rich meat sauce that is just right when the weather turns cold. I make mine with beef and a little pork. In today's Seattle Times there is a recipe (from Everyday Food) for a version with pork and bacon, no beef. With today's pork crazy eaters, I think this version will be a huge hit. You can make the sauce ahead and it keeps just fine for two days in the fridge-it also freezes well. Or, try it in lasagna mixed with a bechamel...yum!

Happy Reading and Happy Cooking!


1 comment:

Lori said...

we'll be right over for homemade sausages....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails