Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What I'm Reading Today

Well, I finally chased the sun and found some summer. In Sonoma, CA for just a few more days and left the frigid summer temps in San Francisco behind. Definitely harder to motivate in the kitchen with the warm sun and swimming pool beckoning but, we've put the grill to use and made a few amazing meals. Managed to check the food sections for you today so, here's what I've got.

I love slaw. Especially in the summer, when rich bbq is coming off the grill-something about the cool briny crunch is the perfect counterbalance for an outdoor meal. Today's LA Times goes out of the box with a few new recipes to use next time your craving a crispy fresh salad. Zucchini Slaw, Daikon Slaw, even Curried Cantaloupe Slaw...check them all out. While you're there, Russ Parsons' follow up article on eating organic is well worth a read. A personal preference reigns here but, it's good to know the facts.

Today's NY Times goes behind the scenes of the latest food movies, debunking many myths about food styling-no hair spraying of turkeys here. Julie and Julia was styled by Martha Stewart veteran Susan Spungen-an amazing woman I've had the pleasure of working with. I haven't seen the movie yet but, have no doubt every bite looks delicious if she is involved. As far as recipes, Mark Bittman has one that's new to me: Stone Fruit Patchwork. Think lattice topped fruit pie with no bottom crust-in other words, think easy...yum.

If you do want to cook from the Washington Post today, how about Corn-Poblano Soup, an Eastern Shore Crab Roll, or Peaches and Cream with Raspberries. I actually think the combo of these three things add up to what might just be a perfect meal.

My Seattle friends are absolutely roasting this week...if you're wondering where the summer heat is, believe it or not it's camped itself in the Pacific Northwest. No one I've talked to has the slightly inclination to cook but, I do think a few would be convinced to throw together this Watermelon, Arugula, and Toasted Almond Salad from today's Seattle Times. The recipes calls for pan searing the watermelon, which is a cool idea but, for those 100+ degree days, I'd throw it in raw and crunchy.

Hope summer is treating you well where ever you are!

Happy Reading and Happy Cooking...Jodi

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails