Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What I'm Reading Today

Woke up and spent the first hour of the morning thinking it was Tuesday. Shows you what happens when I get into summer mode! So, happy Wednesday. Here's what I'm reading...

I love Vietnamese food, just don't cook it enough. I tends to be lighter than Thai food, it's bursting with fresh herbs and vegetables, and it actually comes together pretty quickly if your pantry is stocked with the right things. Andrea Nguyen, guru of Vietnamese cooking, writes a great article in today's LA Times. Not only will you read about all the delish fresh herbs used in the dishes but, recipes like Rice Noodle Bowl with Stir Fried Beef, Salmon with Tomato, Dill, and Garlic Soup, or Rice Noodles with Chinese Chives, Shrimp, and Pork will motivate you to cancel that Slanted Door reservation and try this cooking yourself.

I don't love saffron. For some reason it tastes too metallic when I eat it so I tend to shy away from recipes that list it as an ingredient. That said, this recipe for Summer Vegetables in Saffron Broth with Ricotta and Toasted Baguette looks amazing. From Christopher Lee of Aureole restaurant in New York (and Vegas), it seems to be the perfect way to let your farmer's market bounty shine at the table. I also loved the video on The Making of the Gyro Cone...haven't you always wondered how that conical giant of 'spiced meat' gets made??
No, those aren't giant Popsicles.

I love sweet onions. One year we were in North Carolina with my husband's family. My mother in law introduced me to what might be the best sandwich ever-white bread, farm fresh tomatoes, slices of sweet onion, and mayo. I think I stood at the counter and ate three in a row. Coming from Seattle, I have an affinity for the Walla Walla Sweet, grown in Eastern Washington. Today's Washington Post writes about the onion and gives four recipes for using the gems (of course any sweet onion will work here). Whether you like your onions with Mussels, in a Salsa, or just cooked Straight Up-your recipe is here. The paper also has a great article on Michelle Obama's future plans for her White House garden and food policy.

When fresh blueberries are in season, they are always in our fridge. The huge ones, my son calls them 'kings', are coveted and we eat the things like candy. In today's Seattle Times there is a recipe (courtesy of the AP) for Blueberries and Cream Cupcakes. It's part of an article about Martha Stewart Cupcakes, the latest from the queen of all things domestic and perfect. My son wont eat a cupcake, or cake, with a 10 foot pole but, if I can sneak away a stash of blueberries I may just make them for someone else.

The SF Chronicle makes news of Nate Appelman's departure from A16 and SPQR. The guy recently took home a shelf full of culinary awards and he is manning the stove all the time. I read a recent article where he hinted and cooking outside of SF...we'll see. While you're there, Grilled Eggplant Salad sounds like a perfect summer dinner too.

OK...now that it really is Wednesday, I've got to run! Happy Reading and Happy Cooking!

1 comment:

Kerry said...

My dad would agree with the white bread/sweet onion/ tomato sandwich being one of the best after their time in North Carolina! On the subject of blueberries, you should publish the coffee cake recipe you have - it's what I want to make with all the yummy fresh blueberries. And lastly, congrats on your new book deal!

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails