Wednesday, July 1, 2009

What I'm Reading Today

This summer schedule is killing me-everyone goes to bed way past their bedtimes and we all wake up far too late. Just getting to the post now-sorry for the delay.

I love the idea of homemade ice cream sandwiches. I love making cookies and crank out a lot of homemade ice cream so, its a natural match at my house. Takes a little planning ahead but, certainly not difficult. Today's LA Times features a few mouth watering combinations to try but, the one that sounds best to me is the Chocolate Sea Salt Cookie ice cream sandwiches-they even call for store bought ice cream so that really makes life easy.

How many of you are BBQ'ing burgers for the Fourth? If you answered 'yes', this NY Times article is the one for you: The Perfect Burger and All Its Parts. You'll find tips and tricks from chefs coast to coast, plus great recipes for a burger, homemade brioche buns, and a tomato compote from Daniel Boulud's new DBGB.

If you're not opting for burgers, maybe Fried Chicken is your dinner of choice. If you're Gillian, Brian, Francine, or Stephanie your recipe, in today's Washington Post, is the best. Funny how everyone claims the title, right? Well, these four recipes cover all tastes-seasoned crust, fresh herbs, overnight brining, or lightly battered. Each one looks fantastic to me-I love fried chicken! Finish your meal with Chocolate Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies and I think you're crowd will forget all about the fireworks.

Ever tried cooking a whole chicken on the grill on top of a can of beer? I haven't done it myself but, I've enjoyed the fantastic results at my mother-in-law's. It might sound strange but, I can attest to the moist and tender chicken you get when that bird gets a bit tipsy. Today's Chicago Tribune has a video that walks you through it. If you've ever been fascinated by this off beat cooking technique, now is the time to give it a try.

Happy Reading and Happy Fourth of July Cooking!

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails