Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What I'm Reading Today

Happy Summer. Here's what I'm reading this cool San Francisco Wednesday.

Of course I'm loving the NY Times article about Thai food. The green papaya salad and chicken larb both bring me back to my trip. Easy ways to try your hand at Thai cooking for sure. I've also been hearing a lot lately about this roof top garden on top of Glide. Apparently so have the folks at the Times because it's featured in their lead food story today. Green roof gardens are of course amazing but, when you do it like Glide it's even better. The neighborhood residents get the bounty in exchange for working on the garden. What better way to teach about where food comes from?

"Smart Steak Cuts for Lean Times"-a great article from today's LA Times. You will be thrilled with the big flavors of these dishes, as will your pocketbook-chimichurri and flank steak or fennel and pork steak?

The Washington Post is one fantastic food section. I have a hard time choosing just one favorite article or recipe each week because it's so packed with goodness. Check out the entire section but, for a few highlights you can try Rainbow Chard and Comte Quiche, Chipotle Grill Roasted Rack of Pork, or Shrimp and Pineapple Fried Rice.

I love Pasta alla Norma-fresh tomato sauce, roasted eggplant, and ricotta salata on top. This recipe, from the SF Chronicle is an easy one for any night of the week. I also loved reading Michael Bauer's blog about last night. It was one of the two final dinners at the legendary Postrio restaurant here in SF. I was lucky enough to be invited tonight so read Bauer's scoop and then I'll post more tomorrow-should be amazing.

I love rhubarb and today's Seattle Times has a handful of yummy ways to use it (syndicated from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food): Chutney, Compote, Shortcakes, and Crumb Bars. They also have the AP's write up of Food Inc., a movie everyone should see. Produced by Michael Pollan and Eric Schlosser, the film sheds light on our food systems and where our food is coming from (hint, it's not the roof garden at Glide!). I haven't seen it yet but it's on the top of my list.

OK...there's your reading list for the day. Happy Reading and Happy Cooking!

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails