Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What I'm Reading Today

Remember when you were a kid and you counted down the days until school would end? Well, for my son today is that day. He's ecstatic. I have to admit I'm excited too. I'm looking forward to sleeping in, not spending my morning screaming 'let's go, let's go, let's go', and having a schedule with lots of room to breathe. Of course, ask me again in a few weeks...I may just be counting down the days until school starts again!

While I still have the time, here's what I'm reading.

In today's LA Times 'cookbook watch' section, they feature six books to help you hone your knife skills. They do a thorough examination of this handful of titles and, if you're like so many people I know, you can never have good enough knife skills. I, of course, think you should take a cooking class to really get it right but, if you can't do that, I think one of these books would be a must-have.

“Act like your grandmother: badger the fishmonger until you get what you want, and take it back if it disappoints you.”
A quote from Mark Bittman in today's NY Times. He writes a fantastic and accessible article on fish. We've all heard, over the past few years, about the controversies surrounding the world of commercial fish-over fishing, farmed fish, sustainable fish, etc. The Monterey Bay Aquarium publishes an easy list of 'good fish/bad fish' for shoppers but, Mark's article is definitely required reading for anyone who calls fish dinner on a regular basis. He includes a few great recipes too...I'm loving Sauteed Squid with Garlic, Chili, and Bread Crumbs. (also making Raspberry Rhubarb Cobbler with Cornmeal Biscuits from the article Rhubarb Three Ways.)

If you haven't tried pea shoots, this is the season. These little tendrils from pea vines are delicious-they cook quickly and have a sweet pea flavor. In today's Washington Post, there is a quick dinner recipe for Spice Seared Tuna with Avocado, Mango, and Pea Shoot Salad. Yum!

The SF Chronicle wants to teach you a million ways to use a Poblano chile. I love 'em-not too spicy, fragrant, and easy to find. I especially like their idea for Blackened Poblano Chile Pesto.

Happy Reading and Happy Cooking!


No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails