Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What I'm Reading Today

First off, a big shout out to Jill and Jen for copy editing recipes for me this week-it's good to know a few of you out there are reading these posts in detail!

As I sit here eating one of my blueberry muffins with a hot cup of coffee, sun is shining into my office. I can tell this is going to be a good day already.

And just when I thought the day couldn't get better, I open the food section in the LA Times and the top article is about one of my favorite thing on the planet: rosé. I know spring has sprung and summer is near when the
rosé starts making its rounds. I'm talking dry, crisp, pale pink French style wine as it goes down easy, pairs beautifully with foods of the season, and is totally drinkable on its own. If it's a little early for wine today, how about more blueberries? They're here and while I prefer them straight up, these are perfect cooking berries too. Lemon Blueberry Buckle anyone?

People don't preserve much anymore. We can get great jams, pickles, and preserves at so many markets that it makes us lazy about doing it ourselves (ok, I'm talking about me). I love homemade jam-we usually had a freezer full of it growing up, along with jars and jars of homemade pickles. If you find yourself with the time, and storage space, for a preserving project this spring, this NY Times article will guide you through both pickled asparagus and strawberry preserves.

Another great dish for those vegetable-centric dinners these days. Today's Washington Post has a quick weeknight recipe for Butterfly Pasta (farfalle) with Fresh Peas. Heck, if you're really in a hurry you can even use frozen ones. This is one of those pasta dishes the whole family will love. If you're more in the baking mood, how about Lemon Cranberry Scones?

More quick veggie pasta recipes at the SF Chronicle. There are lots of ideas-I like the lemony pasta with artichokes.

I have a serious food crush on Anthony Bourdain. I know, after Kitchen Confidential came out he was over-hyped and over done. But, No Reservations on the Travel Channel is one of my favorite shows. I think he's smart, hysterically funny, and has a great sensibility about food. In today's Seattle Times, Tony (who is in town w/Mario Batali for a night of 'banter' at the Paramount Theater), talks about all things food. My favorite quote "The same engine that seems to attract so many serial killers to the Pacific Northwest has attracted an extraordinarily high number of talented cooks". Ha ha! Wish I could be there.

Happy Reading and Happy Cooking.

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails