Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What I'm Reading Today

To my friends and family celebrating Passover tonight or Easter this weekend, Happy Holidays.

As my husband likes to say, 'anything with a poached egg on top has got to be good.'. I tend to agree-especially when the egg is perfectly cooked so that when you break into it the yolk spreads out and melds with the other elements in the dish-yum! Today's NY Times has a really easy and delicious recipe for Peas with Poached Eggs. They call for frozen but, our markets are carrying fresh English Peas, which I'd use if you can get them. It may not be Alice's egg poached over the open fire but, I still think it'll be damn good.

I love making candy. It's crazy, I know, but in my next life I'm going to come back as a baker and confectioner. There is something totally magical about transforming sugar into candy-if you haven't tried it, you should. Maybe today's LA Times will motivate you with their article on homemade Easter candy. My thought? Easter, Passover, Last Day of School, Rainy Sunday...any day is a good day to try recipes like Pastel Mints or Chocolate Covered Marshmallows. They'll score you points with kids and grown ups alike. On a savory note, the recipe for Chiles Rellenos from El Cholo looks incredible as well.

Between Passover and Easter I'm guessing your local butcher is selling loads of lamb this week. In today's Washington Post, the recipe for Lamb Kebabs with Minted Yogurt Sauce looks so good. I might throw some veggies on the skewers-zucchini, onions, or tomatoes. Fire up some couscous and you've got dinner.

Happy Reading and Happy Cooking


2 comments:

tori ritchie said...

Totally agree on the poached egg thing and the best I've ever eaten are at Boulette's Larder at the Ferry Bldg. They make them daily for breakfast, always changing what's underneath. A few weeks ago I had one over cardoon gratin. Last summer it was over bulgur wheat and roasted scallions. Worth checking out when you are in that part of SF.

JILL said...

If I could find fresh anything in Oklahoma I would be in heaven! I miss Iacopi already.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails