Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What I'm Reading Today

First off, Happy Birthday Taylor-have a spectacular day celebrating your fourth year. Taylor is my friend in Seattle who is cooking her way through New Flavors for Vegetables. She has roasted parsnips and stuffed peppers, and she's four! What have you cooked lately?!

Second, a shout out to the one person (thank you Lynda) who noticed I filed this post under 'What I'm Reading Toady' last week...good call on the funny typo. If only I'd have had a link to a recipe for frog's legs!

Mark Bittman, of the NY Times, actually posted this a couple of days ago but it's so good looking I couldn't help but pass on the link. These savory little Spanish pancakes, Tortillitas, are made from a combo of white and chickpea flour and are filled with plump shrimp and green onions. The perfect bite for your next appetizer fix. On the same Latin lines, there is a fun article on Passover with a Mexican twist.
I never had a Nana José but, if I did, I'm sure I'd love this Chocolate Cake she makes. The flourless torte looks so good, I might channel her this Passover and try it myself.

I'm coming off a homemade ice cream overdose. Tony, my assitant teacher from Tante Marie's, has a top of line ice cream maker at home and has been bringing in samples. We've tried Mexican Chocolate, Banana Chocolate Pecan, and the best, Coffee Heath Bar Crunch. With those delicious flavors still in my mind, I went right to David Lebovitz's article in today's LA Times-'31 Flavors: Think Outside the Carton'. If you make homemade ice cream, his book is a must (his blog is a lot of fun too). I'm not sure about about Carrot Cake Ice Cream but Tangy Lemon Frozen Yogurt looks like a keeper.

The photo in today's
Washington Post of Salmon with Pink Peppercorn Citrus Sauce looks so good, even a non-salmon lover like me might make it. They bill it as a great Passover entree but, when salmon is in season in your neck of the woods, I think it would be good any night.

Finally, in the SF Chronicle there is a lovely recipe for Asparagus Soup with Herbed Goat Cheese Croutons. Asparagus is here, which means spring has sprung. Ring in the new season with this simple soup.

Happy Reading and Happy Cooking!

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails