Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cheap and Easy


Dinner people, I'm talking about dinner. Geesh...I type 'cheap and easy' and your mind goes right to the gutter.

So I work on Tuesday nights. I usually leave dinner for my boys. Something easy. I make it in advance and leave them with as little prep as possible. Tonight it's just my husband so it was dinner for one and something simple. He's the guy who will eat it cold if it saves time so, I'm talking really easy.

I bought a beautiful piece of wild local rock cod (a.k.a snapper). The 7 ounce piece, big I know, cost $3. That's right-it was local, wild, and cheap. I put it on a big piece of parchment and seasoned it with salt and pepper. Then I topped it with, in this order:
--1/2 a zucchini sliced paper thin
--some minced chives
--3 lemon slices
--some mint from my garden cut in thin ribbons
--more salt and pepper
--a drizzle of my favorite olive oil, Bariani

Using a technique I wrote about here, I wrapped the fish up, 'en papillote', wrote '400 degrees for 10 min' in Sharpie on the top, and put it in the fridge. Does it get any easier than that? He'll just bake it, in the parchment, on a baking sheet and he's got fish and veggies. I may throw some cauliflower florets on another baking sheet, tossed w/olive oil, salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar. He can roast it along w/the fish for sweet caramelized cauliflower. That, my friends, is dinner in about 20 minutes, including the prep, and the price...under $5 for one person.

Yep...I kinda like it cheap and easy.

2 comments:

Sasha said...

You're husband might eat cold food, but I still think he's hot!

Deana said...

Mmmm...Maybe Tony wants company for dinner? I can help him devour that. Sounds like a great, easy meal Jod!

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails