Monday, January 5, 2009

What's for Dinner

Last year I promised to post weekly recipes on the blog for quick and easy dinners. I was miserable at it. I hope to be better this year but, don't think I can promise one a week. Maybe monthly?

This recipe for Roasted Pork Loin with Milk basically cooks itself. I'm making it tonight with roasted cauliflower and what ever else I can dig out of my pantry (maybe last night's left over Pasta with Pepperonata). It's a simple way to cook a lean cut of meat and have it come out caramelized and browned on the exterior while still staying juicy inside. It takes about an hour but, because most of that time is in the oven, you can do other things while it cooks.

Roasted Pork Loin with Milk (adapted from The Silver Spoon by Phaidon Press)

2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 sprigs fresh sage
1 sprig fresh rosemary
2 to 2 1/2 pound pork loin roast (not a pork tenderloin)
coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup whole milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Heat the butter, oil, sage, and rosemary in an oval roasting pan (or an oven proof skillet) over medium high heat. Season the pork all over with salt and pepper. Add the pork to the pan and cook until well browned all over, about 2 minutes a side. Add the wine and cook, stirring to release any browned bits from the pan. Continue to cook until the wine has evaporated.

Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan and leave it on low heat.

Brush the meat with a layer of warm milk then transfer the pan to the oven. Continue roasting, turning occasionally, until the meat is cooked through and reads 145-150 on an instant read thermometer, about 1 hour. While it is cooking, occasionally baste the pork with the hot milk.

Remove the pork from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes. Cut into slices and serve, pouring any sauce from the pan over the top.

Makes 6 servings.



2 comments:

Deana said...

This sounds great Jod, can't wait to try it...I always overcook pork so I will follow your recipe and see if I can get better results. Thank you for posting it!

The Alfaro Family said...

I'm always looking for a good pork recipe....this one looks great. Very interesting with the milk. I'll try it this weekend.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails