Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Ahhhh....coffee

I got up at the crack of dawn, actually before, on Monday. I don't know if it was the 'back to school' jitters or just going to bed too damn early. This is a rare occasion. I usually wake up when my son comes running down the hall to snuggle in our bed around 6a.m. I turn over, go back to sleep, and finally stop pressing 'snooze' around 7.

In the dark pre-dawn hours on Monday, I was on the computer wondering if the coffee grinder was going to wake my sleeping boys. I debated until about 6 and finally decided to go for it. Everyone still sleeping, my coffee machine signaled it's 5-alarm buzzer when it finished brewing and I poured a steaming cup.

Ahhh.....coffee.

I LOVE coffee. The smell, the taste, the hot, all of it. We got these great mugs with no handles from Heath Ceramics (kind of like this) a few years ago and there is something so inviting about wrapping your hands around one when it's full of warm Joe. One sip and I realize the day is going to be okay. It's fine that I woke up when it was dark. The coffee makes it all better, right?

Here's the crazy part....years ago my tummy told me "no more caffeine" so I went off the stuff. I've been a decaf girl for years and years. That said, I still can't live without it and like it dark and strong, with no milk or sugar. Yes, I know that even decaf has a little caffeine. Just enough, I think.

I'm always on the hunt for the best coffee because most decaf is weak and not worth the time it takes to brew it. Lately I've been loving Peet's Holiday Blend but, sadly it's no longer. I'm always happy with Blue Bottle's Decaf Noir and my go to cup is Peet's Decaf Major Dickason's.

Caffeine or not, how do you take your coffee in the morning?

1 comment:

Rebecca S. said...

You can take the girl out of Seattle...

Yeah, I know they like the java in the Bay area, too. :-)

Love the reading rundown and thanks for those links--I'm going to try some of those lunchbox treats! XOXO

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails