Friday, December 12, 2008

What I Read on Wednesday

Sorry...on a short vacation so I stepped away from my blog duties a bit. Finally caught up on the Wednesday food sections and here's what I like. I think I'm in a baking kind of mood...

I am a HUGE fan of old fashioned American style cinnamon rolls. I love to eat them and love to make them. Not entirely sure how I feel about using frozen bread dough instead of making the dough from scratch but, I do LOVE Ubuntu so, I trust this recipe from their pastry chef Deanie Fox in the SF Chronicle. Any of you who are intimidated by yeast recipes should try this version.

Last Sunday I taught a class on Holiday Baking. One tip I shared with my students is the idea of making one butter cookie recipe and using the dough to make all kinds of different cookies-thumbprints, cut outs, rolled, etc. Well, Mark Bittman of the NY Times and I were obviously thinking alike. Check out his recipe for an all purpose holiday butter cookie. Even non-bakers will be happy about this one.

I say it all the time-people love gifts from your kitchen. Anyone can whip up cookie dough and wrap it in a log for giving. You can make caramel or hot fudge sauce. Or, can you turn to the LA Times and look at their ideas for 50 homemade holiday gifts. I love #1, homemade breadsticks, as well as #19, seasoned salt.

Bake your Pick. What a great title for an article on cookies! Check out the Washington Post's selection in their photo gallery of cookies. Caramel Crumb Bars anyone??? Yum

Happy Cooking and Happy Reading.

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails