Thursday, December 18, 2008

How Much Do You LOVE Top Chef?

Personally, I just can't get enough of the show. For the most part, I am not a fan of reality TV but, there's just something about Top Chef that's drawn me in.

Is it home town girl Jamie's bad ass attitude? Eh, it's fun to watch but I don't think that's it

Is it Fabio's Italian accent? Cute but no

Is it Ariane's 'if I can do it you can do it' attitude? Nope-"you wont win with deviled eggs!"

Is it the fact that Melissa is still there despite some seriously sketchy food? Maybe?

Is it Padma's next outfit, Tom's shiny head, or the mystery of the next guest judge? Naaa

So, what keeps bringing me back? Honestly, it is the food. These people have skills, some more than others but, this is not a show of hacks with something to prove. Most of the contestants have earned their stripes in restaurants and their ability to think on the fly blows me away. Sure, there are things like hot dog wraps and deconstructed 'train wreck' sushi, but there are also beautiful dishes that look good enough to eat. They don't always hit it out of the park but, they work hard. It's not unlike the clothes made on Project Runway (sewing skills no part of me will ever come CLOSE to having).

I constantly ask myself if I could do it. It looks tough, really tough. It is so easy to be an arm chair judge and rip those dishes from here to Tuesday but, with the short windows of time and constraints like no ovens or cooking food in the theme of 'blue', they don't have it easy.

This season I think Stephan (a bite of 'tude but a great cook) and Jamie (despite those slimy scallops) have great chances to go all the way. Leah is strong and and I want to see Radhika kick some butt. I can't believe Melissa is still around and I don't see Carla hanging on too long.

So, what is it that draws you to Top Chef?

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails