Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What I'm Reading Today

After teaching a class on poultry then watching a late night re-run of the debates, I'm tired! But, it doesn't stop me from browsing the food sections for something more interesting than Obama and Mcain's constant banter.

The NY Times has a great, but lengthy, article by Harold McGee on pots and pans. Read it if you have the time but, if you don't, you still want to see his recipe for a potato galette.

Russ Parsons and Amy Scattergood of the LA Times printed their list of "Kitchen essentials, and items you can pass by". My favorite, from the 'pass by' list:

Mini food processor: What's the point? Anything small enough to fit in the feed bowl of one of these can be just as easily and quickly chopped by hand. Find it in the cupboard, put it together, find a plug, pulse twice, take it apart, clean it up, put it away. Give me a chef's knife and a cutting board any day.

The SF Chronicle reminds us here in SF that 'Nettie's Crab Shack' has opened on Union Street. I am worried. Crab, my favorite food. Union Street, a stone's throw from my hood. This specific restaurant location, totally and completely jinxed. Yelpers aren't too excited yet but, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Please, please, please be good!!!

Finally, people ask me all the time how to extend the life of the produce they buy. I know I'm not the only one who goes a little over the top at the farmer's market and then wonders how to store it all so it lasts. Read this column in the Seattle Times for some easy advice.

Happy Cooking and Happy Reading...

1 comment:

Deana said...

I knew there was a reason I never use that mini-cuisinart!

Thanks Jod! Just the answers I was looking for!

-Deana

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails