Monday, September 15, 2008

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies-with salt?

I am a good cook. I can make some great dishes (did I tell you I wrote a cookbook?). But...I have a confession to make: I suck at chocolate chip cookies. I have a zillion recipes for the things. One even makes the BEST dough but the cookies...eh.

Until now. Thanks to Kelly (and Cook's Illustrated) things have changed. This cookie recipe is amazing! The cookies are warm and gooey right out of the oven and they stay soft and chewy when they cool. Kelly gave me the hint of sprinkling the tops with the tiniest pinch of salt before they go in the oven-do it. It cuts the sweetness of the chocolate chips and gives the cookie perfect balance. Don't use table salt! Kosher salt works fine but, if you have Maldon Sea Salt around, the flakes would be delicious.

There is one more trick to this cookie. There is a weird method for actually forming the cookies. Don't write this off as some crazy Cook's Illustrated-we over tested this recipe-this really isn't that important trick. It makes the shape of the cookie bakery perfect and I really do think it contributes to the texture. If you link to the recipe, you will see the illustration of the technique-basically, rolling balls of dough, pulling the balls apart and re-attaching them with the jagged edges on top (woops...that sounded kind of nasty, sorry boys).

I made these last night when our friends came to dinner. He is English and she is French. They live in Paris and cook quite often. You know what he told me? He's never (and he meant never) had a home made cookie in his life! I'm writing this off too the fact that Europeans go to bake shops for sweets instead of making them at home but, geesh! These cookies knocked their socks off and I'm sure they'll do the same for you. Even if you have had a home made cookie or two in your time.

Let me know how they turn out.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great, but you have to be a subscriber to see that recipe. Any other place it's posted for free?

Susan (a former student) said...

I gave this recipe a whirl today, and love these cookies. I did not do the pull apart/and put them back together again trick, though, and they were just great. I tried more than one just to be sure that I liked them!

Brooklyn Still said...

How can I see the recipe?

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails