Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The World's Best Bar Cookies

You saw the cover of this month's Gourmet, right? If it made your mouth water anything like it did mine, you are in for a treat.

The gorgeous picture is exactly what your bars will turn out like if you follow the recipe. There is nothing difficult, it just takes time. I made my bars in a baking sheet (jelly roll pan) and added another 1/3 of the ingredients to the crust and 1/3 to the topping. Once the filling was poured onto the cooked crust, they baked a little quicker than the recipe said (about 25 minutes).

I'd bought gorgeous black and raspberries the farmer's market so I combined the two for the topping. Rather than topping the bars then cutting them, I cut them first then spooned the berries on each piece. I almost 86'd the mint but, trust me, it makes all the difference. Also, there was no salt in the recipe so I added a pinch each to the crust and topping.

Two of my favorite desserts in the world are cheesecake and blackberry pie. This bar satisfies all my sweet cravings with a nutty caramelized crust, a rich, creamy topping, and bright fresh berries.

This will become a staple recipe in my kitchen. Let me know if you love it too!

1 comment:

Deana said...

We picked wild blackberries on the side of the road in the Santa Cruz mountains this past weekend...we have enjoyed blackberry pie the past couple of days..Now I have a new recipe to try! Thanks!

-D

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails