Monday, July 21, 2008

A Far Cry from Tomato Soup with Popcorn



Rory prided himself on being the world's greatest prep cook. He always told me, with his wide grin, that his signature dish was Campbell's tomato soup with popcorn in it. Odd? For sure. Very Rory? Absolutely. I still laugh when I think about it.

Sadly, Rory passed away two years ago and we all still miss him dearly. His wife, K, emailed me yesterday saying she'd made dinner and included a dish that reminded her of Rory. "It finally happened", I thought. "My friend, K, who is an incredible cook, is now making tomato soup with popcorn!" Well, I was wrong. Apparently Rory had a few other tricks up his sleeve.

If you're not in the mood for tomato soup with popcorn, try Rory's Heirloom Tomato Salad (inspired by a recipe from epicurious.com). Summer tomatoes like this should make you grin just like they did Rory.

5 comments:

Kerry said...

Rory would be so proud to see his delicious - and beautiful - salad pictured here. Thanks Jodi. And I debate tomato soup and popcorn on occasion, for Taylor's sake...

amy said...

Imagine my surprise at seeing my friend Rory when I opened your page...he was quite the chopper in the kitchen and not so bad to look at either.

I will definitely have to make this treat for the boys!

Kris said...

I sure miss this smile! He was so proud of his prep cook skills--it was great to have his help in the kitchen at family dinners. This is a GREAT summer salad, or even main course.

dave said...

What an awesome son-in-law and sous-chef. We all miss him and his, "what can I chop?"

Sara said...

What a wonderful surprise to see Rory's smiling, beautiful face when I logged on this morning. This definitely made my day. I miss you, Rory!

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails